We are excited to welcome all anglers, families, and friends to Leesburg and Lake County for the Basspro.com Bassmaster Southern Open on the Harris Chain of Lakes. We wish you all the best of luck during the tournament and hope you enjoy your time in Central Florida! Below are a few tips to help you plan your trip.
Make sure to follow @VisitLakeFL on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram and tag your photos with #ShareMyLake and #LakeBIGBass for a chance to be featured.
Tournament Site Plan – Directions, Boat Ramps, Parking, and more
The map below includes a tournament site plan, area boat ramps, and directions to Ski Beach (weigh-in venue) in Leesburg, FL. We ask that you use the ramps offered at Ski Beach as the primary launching point, however, there are multiple boat ramps nearby for you to access Lake Harris prior to launch.
Lake Apopka Fish Tag Challenge
Up for a challenge? The Friends of Lake Apopka (FOLA) have partnered with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) to launch the inaugural “Lake Apopka Fish Tag Challenge.” The contest, which runs from January 15, 2021 to May 31, offers anglers the chance to catch a tagged fish in Lake Apopka and return the tag to the FWC for a prize. There is up to a $5,000 reward for the angler that catches the TrophyCatch-sized (+8lb) largemouth bass named “Jim Thomas” (pictured).Lake Apopka Challenge Rules & Info
Catch a bass over 8-pounds? Make sure to submit it to TrophyCatch Florida for a chance to win prizes and help the FWC better enhance, conserve and promote trophy bass fishing.TrophyCatch Florida Website
Places to Eat & Drink
There are a lot of great local options for a taste of “Real Florida.” Many local restaurants offer delivery and take-out service as well. Visit LeesburgEats.com for a list of menus from some of Leesburg’s best restaurants. While in town, grab a glass at one of our many local breweries or try award-winning moonshine at Yalaha Bootlegging Co.More Dining Options
Where to Stay
There is a wide variety of accommodation options for anglers and visitors. Visit Lake has helped secure the below group rates for visiting anglers. Please mention the event name when booking your rooms.
Microtel Inn & Suites Leesburg – $89 + tax per night; call the hotel directly and refer to the event name
Quality Inn & Suites Leesburg – $90 + tax per night; call the hotel directly and refer to the event name
Mission Inn Resort & Club – $189 + $25 Resort Fee; call 1-800-874-9053 and request the room block for “Bassmaster Eastern Open”
Hampton Inn Leesburg – $99 + tax per night; call the hotel directly and refer to the event name
Key West Resort on Lake Dora – during the week $98.10- $116.10 and on weekends the rate is $134.10- $152.10; call the hotel directly and refer to the event name
La Bella Inn Tavares – $72 + tax per night; call the hotel directly and refer to the event name
Woodspring Suites Clermont – $64.99 + tax; call the hotel directly and refer to the event nameBook a Place to Stay
Things to Do
Our Travel Blog has a lot of great ideas of things to do while you are in town for the event. We have also included a list below of different places you must see and do while visiting Lake County. We hope you enjoy your time in “Real Florida. Real Close.”
For more information on events and things to do in Leesburg visit the Leesburg Partnership website and the Leesburg Chamber of Commerce.
Plan your trip with these must do and see places in Lake County
- Play and enjoy time around Venetian Gardens in Leesburg with walking trails, playground, and splash pad for kids.
- Visit one of the many U-Pick Farms for Fresh from Florida treats.
- Go wine tasting at Florida’s largest winery and vineyards at Lakeridge Winery & Vineyards.
- Book a tour on the beautiful Dora Canal with one of the many tour providers including Premier Boat Tours, Rusty Anchor or CatBoat Adventure Tours to name a few.
- Explore one of the Florida State Parks including Lake Louisa State Park or Lake Griffin State Park.
- Get (really) dirty driving off-road on an ATV or “Mucky Duck” at Revolution Adventures.
- Visit one of the original Florida roadside attractions at the Showcase of Citrus.
- Go on a flight-seeing tour with Jones Brothers Air & Seaplane Adventures.
- Swim or paddle around Alexander Springs or Clearwater Lake Recreation Area.
- Visit the town of Astor and take a tour of the St. Johns River with St. Johns River Tours.
- Try a new sport at JetSurf Orlando.